January 17, 2019 Login  

Oregon trail gravel who wants to join me
Last Post 01/05/2019 08:56 PM by Orange Crush. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Orange Crush

--
12/23/2018 11:06 AM
Registration opens Jan 15. There is a training goal for 2019. 5 days 400 miles of mostly gravel forests mountains camping and beer. 30000 feet of elevation. http://www.oregontrailgravelgrinder.com/
79pmooney

--
12/23/2018 12:46 PM
Wow! I've already decided one goal of 2019 is RondePDX, March 30th (I believe). 8000' in 50 miles, all in Portland or just west, starting 11 miles from home and featuring crazy steep paved pitches in the Portland west Hills. (Very early on is Brynewood. The final corner is >20%.)

If I rode this I would have to choose a bike. Either the Raleigh Competition or the Mooney could do it. Mooney is the stiffer, more efficient bike, less subject to overall shudder on fast rocky descents. Competition is wonderfully smooth on rough surfaces. (It has the butted touring chainstays that Raleigh had Reynolds draw for them in the 50s. They look like seatstays. Also skinny forks; adding to both comfort and shudder.

This would be in the category of my 2012 Cycle Oregon - Crater Lake - on the fix gear. Epic. And Day 4 as a Pioneer would be a graveled and geared equivalent to Day 3 of that ride, up Crater Lake, around the rim, my detour down to Diamond Lake and back (oops!) and down. 16 years later and older, can I still do it and do I want to? I do not have the base of that year and this ride comes up a lot earlier. (I rode McKenzie Pass ; out and back from Sisters that year about 2 weeks earlier tahn this ride on that fix gear. It was that ride that confirmed my brand new bike could do it, both the big climbs and the big descents.)

If I were to do this, Ronde PDX would be the perfect training/'indicator. Timed right. 27 days to make up my mind.

Thanks, OC for turning my world upside down.

Ben
Orange Crush

--
12/23/2018 07:56 PM
You're welcome Ben.

I was actually going to surprise CK with a showing at DK200 but this is a nice new target. We'll keep that one for another year.

The Diverge will probably need some new rear rubber by then otherwise just need to put in the miles. May or may not do the Gorge Gravel Grinder in NE Oregon April 7. Organized by same outfit.
Cosmic Kid

--
12/23/2018 10:10 PM
Sounds like an epic ride.... up I have ZERO interest in camping out at this stage if my life.
Just say "NO!" to WCP!!!!
Orange Crush

--
12/24/2018 05:32 PM
We typically do posh car camping in the family tent but for this one I'll break out the old backpacking tent.

Last spring break we actually "camped" in a yurt on Oregon coast and did some killer hikes. But the week ended in a torrent of hail and some of our fellow campers suffered collapsing tents and flooded sites.
Orange Crush

--
01/05/2019 08:56 PM
Hi Ben
If you are considering this, signing up for NEWSLETTER on the website gets you an extra 10percent discount with advance registration on Jan 12.

Most likely my friend that I rode Haute Route and Mauna Kea with will join in. He will probably want to race at the sharp end of affairs though cause that's who he is. Kea was only 2nd time in 25 years that I had the better of him. Altitude sickness this time while a bout of flu was first time.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
NOT LICENSED FOR PRODUCTION USE
www.activemodules.com

Latest Forum Posts
New used, used new bike posted in Gear Advice

2019 underway.....TdU kicks off! posted in Professional Racing

Never Too Old posted in The Dark Side

The Big Double for Nibali posted in Professional Racing

N+2? I'm so confused posted in Gear Advice

My Performance Got The Axe posted in The Coffee Shop

No articles match criteria.