Docker expected to miss two months after training crash
  May 24, 2018 Login  

Current Articles    |   Archives    |   RSS Feeds    |   Search

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Docker expected to miss two months after training crash

by Kyle Moore at 6:51 AM EST   comments
Categories: Pro Cycling, Injury
Fractures, suspected concussion for Australian after hospitalization

Mitchell Docker (GreenEdge) has suffered an accident while on a training ride after misjudging a corner on a descent, and the resulting injuries are expected to keep him out of competition for up to two months.

The 25-year-old was one of the new Australian ProTour team’s prized hometown recruits, as Docker transferred over from the Dutch 1T4i squad. After finishing 6th in Gent-Wevelgem and 15th at Paris-Roubaix last season for his old team, then named Skil-Shimano, Docker was expected to be a primary threat on the GreenEdge Classics squad this spring.

But his crash could well derail these plans. On Saturday afternoon Australian time, Docker was reported to be undergoing tests at Albert Hospital, and the team is reporting a broken jaw, as well as a broken arm. The crash also involved a motor vehicle, though no improper behavior involving the driver is being reported.

“He just overcooked a corner, just an accident, and hit a cutting,” GreenEdge director Matt White said today from Adelaide. “The car was coming in the other direction but the car was in his lane, so no one did anything wrong. He just went off the road, on the dirt and face planted against the cutting.

“He’s broken his jaw and I think [he has] a broken arm as well. He’ll be out for a little bit of time. We’ll let the doctors make that decision. But it will be a couple of months, I think,” White added.

Docker may have to remain in the hospital until as late as Monday.

Peter Barnes, GreenEdge team doctor, added further clarification on Saturday afternoon in a release on the team’s Facebook page.

“Mitch has a minor fracture on his hand and his cheekbone, but neither require treatment," he stated. “He had a major concussion and for that reason he still needs to be under observation and further examination. I spoke to him this morning and he’s already feeling significantly better.”


Subscribe via RSS or daily email

  Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy  Copyright 2008-2013 by VeloNation LLC