Landis’ move to Rock Racing will be decided on January 4th
  June 17, 2018 Login  

Current Articles    |   Archives    |   RSS Feeds    |   Search

Monday, December 28, 2009

Landis’ move to Rock Racing will be decided on January 4th

by Conal Andrews at 5:10 AM EST   comments
Categories: Pro Cycling

The long-rumoured connection between Floyd Landis and Rock Racing may finally become a reality if the team gets the Pro Continental licence it has been lobbying the UCI for.

According to the French website, Landis and the team have agreed to a deal, but it is dependent on Rock being given a green light by the UCI on January 4th.

It was one of three teams which lost out on December 2nd when the Pro Continental licences were announced. Androni - Diquigiovanni and Xacobeo were also passed over and, like Rock, immediately appealed the decision to the UCI.

Landis returned this year after his two year suspension for doping during the 2006 Tour de France. He raced with moderate success with the OUCH team, but it was announced on November 17th that he was heading elsewhere in order to be able to focus on international races.

“Momentum Sports Group (MSG) and Floyd Landis have mutually agreed to terminate Landis’ Rider Agreement,” the team said a statement released on that date. “[It will] thereby release both Landis and MSG from their respective obligations under the Rider Agreement for the remainder of the 2009 and 2010 racing seasons.

“For the 2010 season, Landis expressed to MSG that he desires to ride the longer, tougher stage races offered in Europe and internationally that better suit his strengths,” the release stated. “Accordingly, given that MSG will be focusing its 2010 racing season primarily in the United States, MSG and Landis mutually agreed that it would be best for both parties to part ways at this time and allow Landis to seek a position with a team that could better accommodate his desires.”

Being able to compete in big European events is dependent on two things; the first is the UCI licence necessary to gain entry, while the second is an invite from the organisers of those races.

December’s refusal of a licence put pressure on the team, and would also have been of concern to Landis. “We’re obviously very disappointed but are working diligently to satisfy every requirement that is being asked of us,” team owner Michael Ball said in a statement after their initial application was refused. “We are committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure we can race next year.”

He’ll find out in less than one week’s time if those efforts have been successful or not.


Subscribe via RSS or daily email

  Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy  Copyright 2008-2013 by VeloNation LLC