Spain's Mayo banned two years after CAS ruling
  November 28, 2014 Login  

Current Articles    |   Archives    |   RSS Feeds    |   Search

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Spain's Mayo banned two years after CAS ruling

by Agence France-Presse at 1:35 PM EST   comments
Categories: Pro Cycling
 
Spanish rider Iban Mayo was banned for two years after the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld an appeal by the sport's world governing body the UCI, the Lausanne-based CAS said on Tuesday.

The statement said: "The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has upheld the appeal filed by the International Cycling Union (UCI) in a case involving the Spanish Cycling Federation (RFEC) and the Spanish cyclist Iban Mayo. "Accordingly, the CAS disqualified Iban Mayo from the Tour de France 2007 and imposed a two-year ban as from 31 July 2007."

In a complex matter, Mayo initially tested positive for blood-booster EPO on July 24 during last year's Grand Boucle. The A-sample had been analysed by the Anti-doping laboratory of Chatenay-Malabry (LNDD) in France.

The B-sample was then tested in Ghent, Belgium, as the LNDD had its annual closure, which referred it to a laboratory in Sydney which claimed it was "inconclusive."

In December, the LNDD confirmed the initial positive test but the RFEC had previously concluded the B-sample was not positive and had dropped proceedings. That brought about UCI's appeal to CAS which was lodged the same month.
      comments




Subscribe via RSS or daily email

WHAT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW
  Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy  Copyright 2008-2013 by VeloNation LLC