UCI says no deal offered to Alejandro Valverde to reduce doping ban
  May 24, 2022 Login  

Current Articles    |   Archives    |   RSS Feeds    |   Search

Sunday, June 13, 2010

UCI says no deal offered to Alejandro Valverde to reduce doping ban

by VeloNation Press at 10:59 AM EST   comments
Categories: Pro Cycling, Doping
 
Will be banned through 2011

The International Cycling Union has rejected reports earlier this week by Spanish publication Meta2Mil that said Alejandro Valverde had refused to negotiate with the UCI to have his doping ban reduced.

The publication said that if the Spaniard admitted that he is the owner of blood bag number 18 labeled Valv.Piti, the UCI would offer Valverde a reduced sentence and the opportunity to keep his victories from 2010.

"The UCI firmly denies the existence of such a negotiation with the lawyers of Mr. Valverde, and ignores from where this info came out," the sport's governing body said in a press release today.

"Rejecting categorically this allegation, the UCI also wishes to make clear that the sanction decided by the CAS – until 31 December 2011 – is confirmed," the statement concluded.

Valverde has maintained his innocence and said that he will continue to fight the ban that has been imposed.

      comments




Subscribe via RSS or daily email

WHAT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW
  Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy  Copyright 2008-2013 by VeloNation LLC