Offredo sidelined for one year due to whereabouts violations
  November 01, 2014 Login  

Current Articles    |   Archives    |   RSS Feeds    |   Search

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Offredo sidelined for one year due to whereabouts violations

by VeloNation Press at 7:20 AM EST   comments
Categories: Pro Cycling, Doping
 
Frenchman unhappy with FFC decision

Yoann OffredoFDJ BigMat rider Yoann Offredo has enlivened big races such as Milan-Sanremo with his aggressive approach to racing, but the Frenchman will have to find another outlet for his energy in the months ahead. The 25 year old has been handed a one year ban by the French Federation FFC, following three violations of the whereabouts programme.

The first two of those related to the late filing of his location for testing, with the third – taking place last July – occuring when he was a late call up for a race with his team and forgot to update his whereabouts.

“It's not a lesson, because he is stunned and you know he’s like that,” his directeur sportif Martial Gayant told l’Equipe. “He screams injustice and he is right, I support him. He accepts the rule but it has to be the same for everyone. He is disgusted, dejected.”

Offredo’s feeling that he hasn’t been treated by others likely relates to the fact that fellow Frenchman Gregory Baugé had a very different punishment for the same offence. The track rider had his results stripped between December 23rd 2010 and December 22nd 2011, but is eligible to race and might yet make it to the Olympic Games.

While Offredo can appeal today’s decision, it’s likely that any such attempt to overturn the decision would take a long time. He was aiming for a strong Classics campaign, having fared well in 2011. He was one of the most aggressive riders in Milan-Sanremo and took seventh there, plus he was fourth in Het Nieuwsblad, eighth overall in the Delta Tour Zeeland and tenth in the WorldTour GP Ouest France race.

Although the UCI stated in January that it informed him several weeks ago, Offredo told Reuters at the time that the news was unexpected. “I did not receive a notification from the French federation's disciplinary committee so I'm surprised that the UCI unveiled this case,” he said.

Last month Baugé indicated that it would appeal the UCI’s decision to strip him of his results, saying that the move was wrong.

      comments




Subscribe via RSS or daily email

WHAT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW
  Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy  Copyright 2008-2013 by VeloNation LLC