November 01, 2014 Login  

Reviving the sleep difficulty thread
Last Post 06/07/2013 10:45 AM by jacques anquetil. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Dale

--
06/06/2013 11:43 AM
Back in the old neighborhood we were discussing sleep difficulties. I started taking a multi-vitamin with whatever was suggested (lycopene?) and started cutting back on caffeine. About two weeks ago I was totally off caffeine (other than an occasional chocolate), yesterday I had a couple Diet Cokes... tossed and turned all night. Back on the wagon today
Spud

--
06/06/2013 12:00 PM
Curious Dale, did you experience headaches withdrawing from the caffeine?
THE SKINNY

--
06/06/2013 12:03 PM
interesting you posted in 'the coffee shop' forum.
How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.
Dale

--
06/06/2013 12:19 PM
LOL, Skinny-- it seemed to fit
Spud-- no headaches this time but a few years ago when I went off caffeine I did. I've never been a heavy caffeine user but all it takes to mess up my sleep cycle is one serving about seven or eight hours before hitting the pillow
ChinookPass

--
06/06/2013 12:29 PM
You gotta stay out of "The Coffee Shop"!

Some people can hack it and some people can't. If you have a desk job and can't stay awake, you just have to get up and walk around often. Does the trick for me.
Orange Crush

--
06/06/2013 01:31 PM
Reviving? Let sleeping dogs lie.
THE SKINNY

--
06/06/2013 02:15 PM
a doctor told me once that caffeine has an immediate kick but then about 7-8 hours later there's another kick. i don't know why. usually coffee after 3:00 is a no go for me.
How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.
jookey

--
06/06/2013 02:50 PM
Hmmm, post dinner espresso may be why I wake up at 2-3am and am wide awake.
Cosmic Kid

--
06/06/2013 03:16 PM
jookey....I am a sucker for a double espresso after a good meal. I now have to request decaf, which I can usually get away with.

Sometimes however, they give me fully leaded instead and I am WIRED. Can usually fall asleep, but wake up after 2-3 hours and that's it for the night.
Just say "NO!" to WCP!!!!
Dale

--
06/06/2013 03:19 PM
Another side effect of going from no-caffiene to a big 'ol slug of it... diuretic. I think I spend half the night standing in the head-- no big deal since I wasn't sleeping anyway
Orange Crush

--
06/06/2013 03:22 PM
Even with no coffee post-mid afternoon, I have started waking up around 1-2 am simply because body and mind are in over-drive. Part of the reason is the associated heat generation and the bloody tempur-pedic mattress not dissipating that heat fast enough.
Serotta94

--
06/06/2013 04:27 PM
Gave up caffiene almost 2 years ago and never looked back. I was not a heavy user - 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day and all before noon, but still found I slept much better after I quit.
79pmooney

--
06/06/2013 04:32 PM
The best sleep aid I've found; meditating before going to bed. A simple 5 or 10 minutes, doing my best to be quiet and/or reflect on the past day. I always wake up feeling better than I would if I didn't.

Ben
Big DanT

--
06/07/2013 09:34 AM
Best sleep, see your Dr. and get Ambien.

My wife uses it regularly (high stress job) I use it less often, but there are nights when I am wound up and take it.

@OC Heat generation is the one reason my wife and I didn't get the Tempurpedic, they are awesome beds, but hot!

Dan
Cosmic Kid

--
06/07/2013 10:01 AM
We recently got sucked into the Sleep By Number cult. I have to admit, I am sleeping better than I have in years. Significantly less tossing & turning and deeper sleep as a result.

That's the good side. Bad side - the cost is ridiculous. Sure, the base model is comparable to a similar, "normal" bed.....until you see what you get. The "box spring" is just a bunch of blow-molded parts that are press fit together and the "mattress" is a zippered case with foam edges to hold the form and two air mattresses inside. Their margin has to be ridiculous of those things.

But I certainly can't argue with the results - I'm definitely sleeping better.

(My sleep number is 70, BTW).
Just say "NO!" to WCP!!!!
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.1

Latest Forum Posts

SS Beard posted in The Coffee Shop

A hit and run and probable fatality posted in The Coffee Shop

bottom bracket clicking posted in Gear Advice

New Hour Record Attempt - On now!! posted in Professional Racing

New Team Rosters posted in Professional Racing

Damn chip seal! posted in Road Cycling